Appendix C – Progress Report Submission Guidelines
Each student must submit annual progress reports, beginning one year after approval of the research proposal. Progress reports will be submitted in three printed copies, with two copies of the research proposal. The second progress report must be submitted together with two copies of the previous year’s progress report. A final progress report will be submitted in three copies towards the end of the dissertation.
The cover page of each report must include the name of the department, the research topic, the student’s name and ID, the period covered by the report, and the name/s and signature/s of the student’s doctoral advisor/s.
Each report must include the following:
- Summary of the student’s research progress: Briefly note the goals presented in the original research proposal and the way they were accomplished during the period covered.
- Results: Describe the results obtained during the period covered, including the required graphs, figures, diagrams and tables.
- Discussion and conclusions: Note the conclusions drawn from the results and plans for further work. Explain how further work will help meet the goals described in the original proposal.
- A list of scientific publications (including work in progress) and active participation in scientific conferences.
The Results section may be submitted, in whole or in part, in the form of papers published, accepted for publication, or submitted for consideration (with a letter from the publication confirming submission), subject to the following conditions:
- The student must be the first-listed author of at least one of the papers submitted.
- For papers where the student is not the first-listed author, the Results section must note which of the results presented in the paper form part of the student’s Ph.D. research.
- The papers must note that some or all of the results were obtained as part of the student’s Ph.D. research. Recommended statement: “This work was performed in partial fulfillment of the requirements for a Ph.D. degree by [NAME OF STUDENT], Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Israel.”
Submission of research results within papers does not exempt the student from submitting the other above-listed section: Progress summary, conclusions and discussion, and list of publications and conferences.
The final progress report must include a chapter summarizing and discussing all results obtained during the research (3 pages), noting how the results meet the goals presented in the original research proposal.
Failure to submit a progress report in a timely fashion, without approval by the Committee for Research Students, might lead to termination of studies.
The Office of the School of Graduate Studies will not accept Ph.D. dissertations without prior approval by the members of the advisory committee confirming the submission of a final progress report.