Electives for Overseas Medical Students
The Sackler Faculty of Medicine at the Tel Aviv University (TAU) is Israel's largest institute of medical education and offers a wide variety of degree programs.
TAU's Elective Program established in 1986, offers Medical students the opportunity to explore options while developing new skills. It hosts an average of 120 overseas medical students each year.
TAU's Electives Program is solely responsible for the determination and approval of rotation placements for overseas MD students at the accredited teaching clinical facilities affiliated with the Tel Aviv University at hospital departments, primary care, Etc. all of which have equal level of professional instruction.
Before applying be sure, you are acquainted to the entire Program's guidelines Information.
The program updates guidelines from time to time.
- Be fully-matriculated M.D. students throughout the duration of the Electives Program;
- Have completed their official clinical studies at their home university in the requested discipline area/s;
- Have a comprehensive understanding of spoken and written English or Hebrew.
Placement process begins:
- Only after receiving at our office (not through any Electronic devices): an original Elective Application HARD COPY Form with the related Payment form.
- The elective application must include original signatures, stamped with registered school seal, applicant signature.
- The Electives Program is solely responsible for the determination and approval of rotation placements at hospital departments and primary care clinics affiliated with TAU. We accept Hard copy applications at our office no earlier than 6 months before the beginning of the elective.
Electives Program- Tel Aviv University
Sackler Faculty of Medicine
Tel Aviv University
6997801 Tel Aviv
|Office location:||School of Medicine, room 101|
|Opening hours:||Sunday, Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, 10:00-14:00|
Activity during Electives
The participants take part in routine departmental activities, participate in supervised rounds, give patients bedside instructions and attend seminars and conferences. Due to hospital restrictions, practical hands-on training is limited. Students will have the opportunity to observe clinical activities. Theoretical lectures and clinical research are not a part of this program.
Department work is carried out in Hebrew. Patient files and reports are in Hebrew. Lab reports are generally in English. Hospital and clinic staff will assist students with non-English-speaking patients whenever possible.
The participants' official status in this program is that of non-matriculated Tel Aviv University students, with the accompanying rights, duties and responsibilities equivalent to the medical students of the Sackler Faculty of Medicine on their elective rotations.
Any inquiry before, during or after an Elective rotation must be done though the TAU’s Electives Program office only.
The TAUs Electives Program:
- Can accept a student for 3-8 weeks at a time; and up to 24 weeks of electives in total during their M.D. studies.
- Cannot guarantee in advance a certain site for the student's elective;
- Is not informed in advance by the departments about who will be supervising the Program students;
- Does not have detailed syllabus descriptions for electives.
- There are no exams in this program.
- Cannot sign on agreements with applicants' home universities, nor can supervisors from the hospitals.