Electives for Overseas Medical Students
The Sackler Faculty of Medicine at Tel Aviv University (TAU) is Israel's largest institute of medical education and offers a wide variety of degree programs. Sackler's elective program offers the student the opportunity to explore options while developing new skills. TAU's Electives Program was established in 1986 and hosts an average of 150 overseas medical students each year.
- Be fully-matriculated M.D. students throughout the duration of the Electives Program;
- Have completed their official clinical studies at their home university in the requested discipline area/s;
- Have a comprehensive understanding of spoken and written English or Hebrew.
The Electives Program is solely responsible for the determination and approval of rotation placements at hospital departments and primary care clinics affiliated with TAU. We accept applications no earlier than 6 months before the beginning of the elective.
Authorization of elective enrollment: Students must send the original Elective Application, authorized by the home school of the student and with original signatures, along with the Payment Form to the program office.
- Impossible to do electives during weekends & holidays: https://en-med.tau.ac.il/Application-Process.
- Electives are up to 8 weeks only.
Sackler Faculty of Medicine
Tel Aviv University
Tel Aviv, Israel 6997801
|Office location:||TAU Campus, School of Medicine, room 101|
|Opening hours:||10:00 AM-14:00 PM Sunday, Monday, Wednesday, Thursday|
Activity During Electives
The participants in the Electives Program take part in routine departmental activities, participate in supervised rounds, give patients bedside instructions and attend seminars and conferences. Due to hospital restrictions, practical hands-on training is limited. Students will have the opportunity to observe clinical activities. Theoretical lectures and clinical research are not a part of this program.
Department work is carried out in Hebrew. Patient files and reports are in Hebrew. Lab reports are generally in English. Hospital and clinic staff will assist students with non-English-speaking patients whenever possible.
The participants' official status in this program is that of non-matriculated Tel Aviv University students, with all the accompanying rights, duties and responsibilities equivalent to the medical students of the Sackler Faculty of Medicine on their elective rotations.
Any inquiry before, during or after an Elective rotation must be done though the TAU’s Electives Program office only.
The TAUs Electives Program:
- Cannot guarantee in advance a certain site for the student's elective;
- Is not informed in advance by the departments about who will be supervising the Program students;
- Does not have detailed syllabus descriptions for electives.
Please note that this Program can accept a student for up to 24 weeks of electives in total during their M.D. studies.
More details are in the Application Process.